RE: [RC] Shortbed trucks - David LeBlanc

Joe Long said:

Next, the longer the wheel base, the better the vehicle
will be able
to resist side forces, and you don't end up with the tail
wagging the
dog. This is another reason to go for a longer wheel base.

This isn't necessarily so, there are many other factors
involved.  Look at how short the wheelbase of many 18-wheeler
tractors are compared to the length of their trailers.

Sure - that's one reason they have 8 wheels in the back - and they're
typically not pulling a live load. Plus, their wheelbase is fairly
substantial to begin with. I'm not so sure they're all that short, but I
can't readily find wheelbase info on a semi tractor. I know they're several
feet longer than my truck.

I used to pull with a crew-cab longbed, and now I pull with a
club-cab shortbed, and I find the stability of the shorter
truck to be at least as good if not better than the long truck.

More than likely, that's because the suspension of your new truck is better
than your old truck. Seems they've been making them better over the years,
and going from disc-drum brakes to 4w disc. Suspension may be a more
important factor than wheelbase overall, esp. to a gooseneck.

As I have no intention to ever pull one of those
eight-feet-wide square-nosed camper trailers, I have no need
to have a truck that accommodates them.  Which is why I
bought a shortbed, and am very happy with it.  I can back my
LQ gooseneck a full ninety degrees without interference.

Then it works perfectly for you - but for example, we also have a
square-nosed stock trailer for ordinary use. It isn't as wide as the big one
(probably 6.5-7 ft), but same thing applies. Really just something to think
about at the time - do you want a rig limited to certain trailers, or do you
want to be able to deal the dimensions of any trailer? I'd rather be
flexible, YMMV.

Another consideration is this - say you have the truck at
45 angle to
the trailer, and then you put one side of the trailer in a
hole, and
it is tipped over. The outside corner of the trailer nose
comes down.
If you have something on the bed, is there clearance for this? We
unfortunately didn't figure on this part until we were on
our way to
our first ride and rearranged one of the toolboxes =8-O

This is an important consideration with any gooseneck.  You
don't want the trailer to contact the tailgate when going
over humps or through dips, and you don't want the trailer to
contact the bed sidewalls when it rolls on uneven ground.
More clearance here is generally better than less, but you
must always use care when pulling through such terrain.
Proper adjustment of the height of the gooseneck is important, too.

Knowing what I know now, if I were to get a smaller truck and trailer, I'd
go with a flatbed. When I had the Chevy, you had to back it up so far, then
close the tailgate, then finish backing up. Had a bad day once where I
forgot to open the tailgate pulling away...

Plus, there's not sides (or you can make removable sides) to hit. Ridecamps
can be in some interesting places to get in.