Re: [RC] Horse Angst - Chrystal Woodhouse

I was in pretty much the same situation for 10 years, a whole lot of horses that were either ex-racehorses and lame most of the time or ex-racehorses that wanted to kill me most of the time,( not good trail prospects) oh and an Appaloosa that bucked and reared everytime we left the round pen ( REALLY not a good trail prospect) anyway after ten years I was really tired of not being able to ride very much, I didn't think it was too much to expect to be able to go out for a trail ride once in awhile but it just was not happening  with my horses, I finally gave one away and sold the other one, ( I kept the lame one until she was put down with a stroke,) I got an AWESOME Morgan, yeah she didn't know how to stop on the trails but she would go out alone, didn't rear and her bucks were nothing compared to the TB's . :-) I ride way more and enjoy my farm much more with manageable horses , plus I don't think you are doing your 11 yr old mare any favours if you are not going to ride her, if she is trained and rideable she has value if she doesn't then she will have very little value when she is 17+( and I see so many nice horses like that at the auctions that go to the meat market :-(), see if you can find a nice home for her, with experienced people  who can put miles on her.
Good luck! :-)
Chrystal