RE: [RC] FEI Championships - David LeBlanc

Ed said:

"...I have a vision of nearly all of the horses treated the
first day being DQ'd at vet in for the 2nd day, and the first
day front runners dropping lik..."

My assumption was that a horse rider team was completely out
if they vetted out on any of the days and the eventual winner
being the total time for all three days etc.

I was thinking along the lines that you just couldn't have back to back
100's, like you do in 50's, and if you had maybe 3 days between them, that
would be enough time for the horse to recover, but not so much time that the
first day hadn't worn off. So if someone DQ'd on day 1, it would be unlikely
that the horse would recover enough in 3 days to start again, but it could
happen. Or say the horse got treated at the end, and didn't truly need it -
could be that it could vet in OK on day 2. It sure would slow things down,
and give people a serious incentive to complete - coming in 10th in each
ride might get you a win.

Funny - they have essentially the same problem in NASCAR - cars got so fast
that the whole thing got very unsafe, so they slowed it down with
restriction plates. We've got a similar problem, but no technical solution,
so if we're going to do anything about it, the way the game is played has to
change.

I think it ought to - so what if someone can go like hell on one given day
with someone weighing in at 2 oz over the minimum riding? It really doesn't
prove anything. Heck - even in Thoroughbred racing, winning one race doesn't
get you much respect (unless it's one of the triple crown races) - what
makes for a legendary horse is winning a lot of races.

Spread that out over a few days, or a whole season - the one that comes out
on top there would be something to respect.

I also assumed that since it is one event, even if a horse
completed a day, it was DQ'd for any treatment before the
next morning etc.

If they wanted to really do something like this, the treatment angle would
have to be completely ironed out. It could be a complex set of rules by
itself as to what constitutes allowed treatment between rides, how close to
the next ride, and so on.