Re: [RC] Automatic penalty debate - Barbara Moulton

I have a long history with Joy- She had all the
abscesses because her alfalfa/grass mix hay fed since
3/00 led to soft soles-  her last abscess was in Jan.
of 04 following some poor advice I got from a
regionally famous equine hospital.  Her diet since
June of 03 has been grass hay with low carb
supplimental feed.  It was the aggressive- trim/shoe
plan the clinic prescribed that perpetuated the soft
sole/wide spongy white line condition by merely
supporting the flawed structure that existed from the
too rich diet. By supporting that condition Joy
couldn't recover interally.  Then I hooked up with
Casey LaPierre at a lecture in Emmett ID ( just before
I was ready to try hot set custom egg bar shoes with
full pads on all 4 feet $$$$$) and began rehabing her
hooves with HPT barefoot trimming and a more natural
environment.  Now after almost three years of HPT and
having Baby Bonnie she has rock hard feet without the
flairs and has shown me that her preferred gait is a
FAST rocking power pace that I didn't know she even
had.

I just know that she is very social around other
horses and if she doesn't want to catch up to a horse
she sees, seems to be getting heavy on the forehand
when alone, taking any baby steps, not eager to pace
up a hill, doesn't take every chance I give her to
eat- then she is not acting like Joy.  I had a wild
horse mentor ( she is a blm mustang afterall) think
she was just a lazy sassy bad attitude mare that I
should just walk away from before we resolved her
issue with pretty much constant pain.  A lessor horse
could have become a rouge outlaw in the same
circumstance.

I failed to  make it clear how far back those issues
were in her past. I was ready for her to be my pasture
pet if the soundness didn't resolve.  I wouldn't even
have bred her if I didn't know that the reason for
these bad spell wasn't conformational or genetic- no
horse should have suffered like she did. It wasn't
cheap to get to the bottom of the situation (
misdiagnosises are just as frustrating with vets as
MDs) but I have a horse who I know is as "safe" as any
horse possibly could be because I know even when she
really hurts she looks out for her rider and loves my
grandsons.

I also plan to bring her to rides as a volunteer
several times before actually riding to get her used
to the whole idea as she has not been to a horse show
since her 4H younger siblings babysitter days
(2002)when she was sound about 50% of the time and the
mentor admitted her best quality was how patient and
devoted she seemed to be when around small children.

I didn't think your questions were rude at all just
somebody looking out for a horse.  I am distracted
this holiday and didn't write as clearly or concisely
as I could have.
Barbara
sad Thanksgiving- need a Joy hug and Bonnie nuzzle but
they are in the next state

http://new.mail.yahoo.com