Re: [RC] 100 Discussion / Partway step from 50 to 100 -- new 75 miler in the Northeast - rides2far

And P.S.  Jody, I'm with you, I'd prefer to ride solo in the dark,

Well as one who has ridden with Jody in the dark...I can tell you she can
see *great*...but by that time of day, and at that point in her pain
killer routine, she may need a designated driver to tell her just what
she's trying to see. >g< She appeared as sober as a judge, she just
didn't remember a thing about the trail that we'd just done about an hour
before. :-)  If Aries got you around all by yourself Jody...she's not the
dummy you think she is. >eg<

Now...as for whether ya'll's horses are ready for a 100. I can tell you
that the idea of doing a 100 always intimidates me. I am ALWAYS worn out
at the end of a 50 and have never finished a 50 wishing I could do it
again that day. HOWEVER, I have never felt awful on a 100, or like I was
worn out at the 50 mile mark. I don't know why, just take it on faith.

I have done 7 50's with Gunner and cannot imagine asking him to go much
farther than I did in the 50's....but I also know that when I did the
100's with Kaboot at least, it wasn't a big deal. It was just like it was
with *my* body. Judging by that, I will do 50's this spring, and if he's
sound through that I'll enter a 100 at Biltmore. If it's too much, we
won't finish. Big deal. I just have to take it on faith that 11 times I
entered 100's, 8 times I finished happily. The other 3 times I'd have
been happy to keep going if I hadn't gotten myself pulled. I never had a
horse get *too tired* to go on. Of my three pulls, once went 80 miles and
I gave too many probiotics and he got gassy (was great in an hour with no
treatment and running circles on the picket line every time a horse left
camp. Once he tripped at 80 miles and I was hurt. The third was when he'd
done a 100 3 weeks earlier and he limped (40 miles, early stages of
arthritis...don't put off doing 100s too many years!). Nothing dramatic.
I don't have any crying or puking stories. No pink elephants, just cool
rides. I'm not even as sore after a 100 as I am after a 50 because I get
off and walk some after dark and it just seems to work it out. Same for
the horse. I've had Kaboot prancing on the end of the lead the morning
after a 100. No guilt trips. I think everybody with a successful 50 miler
ought to try it at least once just to see if a miracle occurs and it
isn't half as tough as you thought it would be. :-)

Angie

Angie McGhee
http://www.lightersideofendurance.com