Re: [RC] FEI Championships - Truman Prevatt

Guys the compeltion rate on the Tevis is often less than 50% - it is seldom much more than 50%. I suspect if you took our three "historic rides" - Tevis, OD and Big Horn the compeltion rate is most likely less than 50%. One year the ROC had 17 or about 80 finish.

A 100 miles is a long way a lot of things can happen. Bottom line this is basically an academic discussion since the AERC has no status with the FEI and the US is only one of many countires that have a vote that weights the same as the US vote.

Maybe we would be better off to clean our own house up - look at our fatilities, analyze out treatments rather than throwing stones at the FEI. Now make no mistake about it - I am not fan of the FEI and I am less a fan of the AERC I blindly rubber stamping the USEF which rubber stamps the FEI. However, we have problems of our own - our 100 mile completion rate is 60%. For our historic rides - it is far less. In 2006 the Tevis was 87 for 194 for 44.9%, the Big Horn 8 for 25 for 32% and the OD 13 for 25 for 52%. Combine them you have 244 starts (which will end up being about 1/4 of all the 100 mile starts ) and 108 completions for a grand total of 44.3%, Maybe we should pay attention to our own house - especially since there is little we can do about the FEI's house.

Truman

kimfuess wrote:

Steph, what ideas do you personally have to get a better completion rate at the WEC? Do you really think that 40-50% is acceptable? If you do think this completion rate is OK, then this whole discussion you have started is a mute point. I think that many that have participated on this list would like to see "completion" somehow become more important in the overall picture of the WEC. Focus on completion balances the speed factor that is present in a one day event. If the problem isn't with the riders attitude and horsemanship, the team attitudes, the horses, where is the problem?? Is it the way the event is promoted by FEI? Is it the way FEI recognizes success at these events? There is certainly a problem somewhere in this picture if we as endurance riders and endurance race fans are only to expect a 40-50% completion rate from the best in the world. Pretty low expectations in my opinion.