[RC] Sportmanship! - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

--- Jessica Cameron <jjcameron@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

simply have nothing
better to do but sit around and bring down one area
of this sport w/out
looking at the big picture and facing the issues
that surround the entire
sport.

Point well taken Jessica.  Isn't that what good
sportmanship is all about...setting a positive
mode/attitude no matter what part of the industry you
participate in?  Lead by example - now that is a
strong and powerful statement - which could work in
either direction depending on negative or positive
input.

We have a saying in the training/boarding part of the
industry...'trainer' sets the mode! If there is a
trainer at your facility - guaranteed their attitude
is going to set the pace for the general boarding
populus.  Why, because they are viewed as the
'professional' above the stable owner.

Well, I see in the Endurance end of the sport whether
it is AERC or FEI the horse and rider set the mode.
Teams set the mode! If you don't have a good attitude
to lead by example your industry FAILS!  Not only for
the individual but the horse as well.  How many
bystanders, sitting on the fence, wanting to
participate but don't because of the 'click' mentality
that prevails.  How many Tevis veteran's are out there
working hard to bring new people into the endurance
world to coach through Tevis?  How many mentors are
out there?  Life endurance coaches?

When I watched an FEI tape of Becky Hart in France a
number of years ago -I was blown away.  She set a tone
for me that has prevailed throughout the years. She
could have criticized the Austrailians, that year, for
the horrible pace they started with.  How they broke
their horses down. They didn't win, as most of you
know, Becky won. The constant care and consideration
for her mount and herself set a precedent for me.  I
knew I was not going to venture into endurance until I
could devote 100% of my time to the horse!  I didn't
want to just get a horse ready and 'see' if the horse
and I could do it. I knew I wanted to be in the sport
not just a participant of the sport.  I knew I wanted
to be a positive example in this industry.

I may not get to where I want to go.  I do know that
with a strong backbone, strong commentary and
reassurance from endurance 'professionals' I'll have a
better chance of achieving my goals.  Whereas I would
not if I was to listen to the negative commentary that
seems to prevail here sometimes.

Therefore, I submit a challenge to anyone that feels
they have all of the answers and know what is best for
everyone:  Go out and become a mentor and bring at
least one new person into the industry that will, at
the very least,  compete on the national level.
Preferably on the international level. How would we
know of your accomplishments...when the awards are
issued and that rider says, "I'd like to thank my
horse and my mentor (insert your name here), without
whom I would never have gotten to this level!"

Stepping down off of my soap box now!

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
 liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx

Sponsored Link

Rates near 39yr lows. $420,000 Loan for $1399/mo.
Calcuate new payment. www.LowerMyBills.com/lre