Re: [RC] bute for 6 mos? - Dyane Smith

Susan Garlinghouse wrote:

I personally don?t advise feeding alfalfa at the same time as the dose of bute.  Aspirin?s absorption is pH-dependent and if taken with a calcium source (ie, a glass of milk), the absorption is dropped by some 90%.  I suspect the same is true of bute (same drug family) and alfalfa, so my suggestion is to space out the bute and any alfalfa by at least two hours.  Grass hay is fine.

That's fascinating, Susan.  Thanks.

Dyane