RE: [RC] Over Ridden? - heidi

Well said, kat.  It never ceases to amaze me how many riders at "high" levels seem to be clueless about things that are starting to happen with their horses.

Someone mentioned Peter Toft, and wondered about his WEG ride--in which he started off somewhat near the front, and then SLOWED DOWN and completed just fine.  I don't have any first-hand info about his ride either, but would have to agree that that sort of pattern certainly appears to be the sort of horsemanship that one SHOULD be able to demonstrate at a world level--being able to tell early on that it isn't the sort of day you might have desired, but being able to ADJUST to that in time to still finish with a horse that is fit to continue.

Heidi

You didn't read what I said carefully enough.  _I_ said that riders who
present their horses to the vet asking for permission to continue on
their horse and the vets determine that the horse is not fit to continue
should have their COC for championship rides revoked.  I.e. it is only
those riders who don't know that the horse they have been riding for the
past X number of miles is not fit to continue that have the COC revoked.
But that it does not apply if you remove the horse from the competition
yourself because you know the horse is not fit to continue.  So, if the
rider goes up to the officials and says, "I know my horse is lame, and
not fit to go on, I withdraw from the competition" there is no loss of
COC of the rider for this.  However, riders who present their horses to
the vet and say, "I believe my horse to be fit to continue" and it turns
out that they are wrong...well, they need to be told to go home and
learn a bit more about how to properly evaluate the condition of a horse
before they come back to the world championships.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=