Re: [RC] MY Mistake - rides2far@xxxxxxxx

-- k s swigart <katswig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I must confess to being thoroughly disappointed (actually disgusted
is probably a better word) by the apparent attitude expressed here by
endurance riders that failure to complete because the horse was
pulled for being unfit to continue is not the responsibility of any
of the decisions of the rider, but can be put entirely down to bad
luck

I don't really believe in luck, but I do believe in "the odds".
During training rides I am very careful about footing, always walking
where it's risky, etc...but in a ride you have to gamble if you want
to finish within time. I know when I'm gambling and that sooner or
later the odds will get me...but there's risks I have to take on ride
day to finish. The faster you want to finish, the more you have to
gamble on some of those things.

I didn't finish one 100 because my horse tripped in the dark and
flipped on me. I was  hurt bad enough that I didn't want to ride any
more and he was cut on the coronary band just enough that I could
convince myself I was stopping for his sake. >g<  As far as mistakes
made...well, I did choose to ride in the dark...but I chose what I
considered a good course and had a fit horse, so I tried to stack the
odds in my favor. Not sure it's best to choose a horse that travels
long and low if you plan to ride after dark on uneven footing and
don't like flipping, but there were probably trade outs where
choosing him over other horses was good in other ways. I played the
odds.

I can't imagine accomplishing many miles in this sport without taking
some risks. You just have to do your best to keep those risks at an
acceptable level and go from there. If a horse becoming lame in
competition is the ultimate mistake, then leaving him at home in his
paddock should be the ultimate good decision. I think there's trade
outs there. I believe that *over all* my horse is better off
physically for having done endurance just like my kids are better off
for playing sports...even if it does mean they're going to get some
bruises and sprains.

Angie