[RC] Overridden - WEG - eliminations - Leonard.Liesens

Hi,
It is interesting to read all comments on this subject.
Jus a few of my own...

- a championship is a race, not just a regular 100miles or a multi-day where each individual enters the ride with his/her own objective and strategy. Here you have the pressure coming from the chef d'equipe and from your partners in the team. Not all teams have the same pressure on their shoulders, some are still there just because it is nice to participate and this is good as well.

- the management of the horse still belong to the rider. That's true, but don't forget that in many teams, the federation considers that the horse is "leased" to the team. This makes a big difference and can create a lot of pressure between the rider/owner of the horse and the management staff of the team. Chefs d'equipes (I mean of leading nations) come too a championship with a goal in mind... collecting medals. They try to select the best possible individuals (rider and horse) and prepare them for the deadline. They define also a riding strategy (like a coach in football or ) and expect the rider to listen to their "orders". Sure that we try to keep this principe "horse welfare is paramount" in the back of our head, but the pressure is there and there is nothing to do to avoid that. Pressure comes from your team, your chef d'equipe, your ego, the other competitors, etc... The one who never made part of such an event can have diffuclties to understand the whole process

- lameness... all high level horses are lame!!! if they are trotted on a circle on a hard surface or in deep sand or worse if they got flexion tests, most of them are slightly lame. Why? Because they are champions they can manage the small problems, have a better pain resistance, because their riders know about their weaknesses, and so on. The good care and management (veterinarian, farrier, good riding, proper conditioning) allow the horse to be ready and sound on the 'd' day.
But everything can happen and this is beyond the control of the rider. Then the horse ends up lame. This is not related with riding the horse into the ground.
Examples : at Aachen, a lot of paement and uneperienced riders/horses on this surface... they a lot of falls or just slipping. Horse slips once, ok, twice, ok... after ten of them, tendon strain, horse lame. Bad turn coming from a dirt road onto pavement, horse slips and fall... lame.
A horse with some arthtitic problems can support 80Kms and suddently become lame at the next vetcheck. who's responsible?

WEG in several days : please note that multi-days in Europe have the worst completion rate (Montcuq, Barcelona). I'm not sure that this is the best way. 160Kms is still the ultimate distance that every rider consider w<ith the highest respect.

Horse not in a good day. I noticed also the good horse management of Peter Toft and Meg Wade (and the Aussies in general who vere unfortunate at Aachen). It deserved the highest respect for the way they managed their horses and brought them to the finish line. Europeans (I mean most of them) have lost this attitude, that's true. THey will not take the time to stop for 10 minutes at the water point trying to relax the horse for giving the chance to drink.

Voila... just my thoughts

Leonard, Belgium