[RC] WEG 2006 - Duncan McLaughlin

Kat wrote:
??One way that the FEI could, perhaps (assuming that
the riders DO know how to ride their horses within
their capabilities and just choose not to), improve
the performance of endurance riders at the
championships is to have a rule that says, "if your
country doesn't finish a team at the championships,
you aren't invited back to the next one," and then to
have only four riders per team (none of these people
riding as individuals only). If it does this, then
countries will make damned sure that they select
riders who can be counted on reliably to not over ride
their horses??

This idea has a lot of merit. The most medal winning
team in WEG/WEC history is Australia. Australia also
has an enviable completion record for both team
members. For example, this century:
Compeign 2000: 3 of 4 team (Team Gold)
Jerez 2002: 4of 4 team completed (Team Bronze)
Dubai 2004 (05): 3 of 4 completed (Team Silver)
Aachen 2006: 4 of 4 completed. (Team position 6th and
1st of non-Europeans) plus both individuals completed.

Also, at the World Junior Endurance Championships,
Bharain 2005, Australia completed 4 of 4 team
members(Team Gold), plus both individuals completed.
It would appear that Kats idea isn?t only good in
principle, but, if you want to bring home the goods,
it works in practice too!

Ed Hauser wrote:
??Austrialia has the most restrictive rules that I
have read ... We should also remember that
Austrialians view life and the government very
differently than we do.  They are extremely
politically correct, and generally feel that the
government always knows best. This is not just in
relation to animals. Their firearm regulations are
really strict (this in a country where there is much
more open space than USA)... I support education. I
support sanctions for bad acts. I support personal
responsibility ... I oppose making everyone follow
complicated rules just to prevent a few instances of
bad horsemanship?.
And yet (despite our disgracefully low record of
shooting murders!) Australia (the correct spelling :-)
is not only successful in international competitions
but also has a vibrant domestic scene. Like the US
(?), the majority of riders have little or no interest
in FEI competition: to complete is to win! Indeed, in
the last few years there have only been 2-4 FEI
rides/year across the entire country.
Our rule structure is remarkably similar to yours with
the big difference being that Australia has
implemented
1. A Novice Horse/Novice Rider system. Early in their
careers, riders and horses are restricted to a maximum
speed ? riders learn to pace their horses - and, for
horses, more stringent HR criteria.
2. An early warning system. Horses that vet out are
recorded and a succession of vet outs can lead to
imposition of novice conditions, with the possibility
of temporary or permanent rider disqualification.
3. We do not recognise 25 miles as an 'endurance'
distance but consider thoser rides as ?training?
rides, with minimum times and no record of place and
no record of accumulation of distance from 'trainers'.

The rules are not complicated (it takes, at most, a
half hour to read them) but they sure do more than
"just prevent a few instance of bad horsemanship".
They instil in everyone?s mind an approach where horse
welfare is paramount and this provides the basis, for
those who do wish to ride competitively, nationally
and internationally, on which to build.

Rusty wrote:
??Better than a 5 day (which completely destroys the
100) would be a triple crown of 100 mile rides. Can
anyone horse complete three FEI championships - in the
top ten? In the top five? Over all winner? Now that
would be the ultimate championship - a 100 mile triple
crown?.?

How about:
Compiegne, France 2000 ? team gold
Jerez, Spain 1002 ? team bronze
Dubai, UAE  2004(05) ? team silver
These are the results of Toft owned horse Bremevale
Justice. Justice has completed 16 x 100 mile rides,
usually competitively. In addition to the above ,
these also include a Tevis buckle (18th place at only
attempt) and 4 Quilty buckles (including 2x 1st place,
once in LW and once in HW divisions). See
www.aera.asn.au and scroll about half way down the
page for more details on Justice.

Cheers
Dunc