To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] [RC] my endurance buggy horse!!!! (safety first)

I, too, was horrified to read Jody's blissfully happy (and totally innocent)
post -- but can relate to her youthful exuberance because .... I, too, once
owned (30 years ago) a lovely 3/4 Thoroughbred (bless her dear departed
soul) who took to driving with a totally ho-hum attitude. We did
essentially the same thing Jody did -- except we did the dragging the tire
part (of which this mare did without blinking an eye) and we decided that
she'd already been taught to drive somewhere along her
foxhunting/eventing/dressage/trail riding career....so we also hitched up
and drove off, happy as clams. She never put a foot wrong and up to the day
she died of old age years later she remained ever the *perfect* driving
horse.

The Gods take care of fools...but only once. I learned later my mare was
one of those rare individuals -- not other of the many, many driving
horses/ponies I've owned and trained (except for one Thoroughbred) ever
could be put to a carriage without any training at all.. and be perfect from
step one.