Re: [RC] Weed Free - Jo Anne Rudolph

Barbara McCrary <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Wind and birds carry lots of seeds. We found a several plants over the
years on our ranch here...cotoneaster and English Ivy, both of which came
from some distance away, because we have never planted them here. I suspect
birds, primarily. On the other hand, our granddaughter did a science fair
project once of trying to germinate plants from horse manure and she was
successful. I don't know what kind of plants, but she did get results.

Barbara

Having some personal experience with both, I can attest that horse-manure born seeds, and bird-born seeds can sprout in favorable conditions.  I "recycle"  my horse manure on the lawn, and around tree wells. Add a little water,and I have a few spots where alfalfa, fescue and orchard grass now grow, but not what I'd consider noxious. (Horse-manure born.)  I also planted Golden Currants, Russian Olive, and a type of sumac for berries for the birds to eat. Lo and behold, I have little seedlings of those coming up in some treewells. (Bird-born.) (And maybe helped by the horse-manure mulch.) I'm sure the water is a key ingredient here in Arizona.