[RC] New Horse - New Info - Mickey Womack

Okay...........here goes............more info.

The vet check came back fine.  Waiting on the Coggins.  She needs dental floating and has hooks that need to be removed.  They haven't caused any problems but are currently a nuisance.  Her feet are fine........no signs of "-itis's" or thrush but need some good work done by the farrier.

Sound legs and structure.  Easy to deal with.  All internal sounds were good.  Temperature normal.  Took a fecal sample.

She has not had ANY shots since she was born.  Vet is going to let me know what it will cost to get her back on schedule.

She has some scarring from running into fences and getting kicked but besides "looks"  - no damage.

As far as my trainer goes ................I guess the barn manager had lived on this property his entire life.  The barn we tack up in was built in 1917.  He was born, raised, and married (first marriage and kids) on this property.  The brother and my trainer are trying to keep everything "status quo" at the stables even though he is gone.  This is the main effort for trying to keep all the horses.

I took a good look around the property last night and just from an amateur eye I saw a lot of things that could use attention.

My husband and I have decided to "see how things go" with the sale of the horses and for now....we are going to spend some money on the peripheral things.  Instead of just giving her cash we are going to upgrade the grooming tools, replace some halters and lead lines, and replace some of the aging tack on the horses we ride during lessons.  This helps us both out.  Our trainer will have money to spend on other things and we will have upgraded tools and tack on the horses we ride.

So.........with that in mind.  How do you know what size of halter to buy for a horse?  Is there something I can measure on his current halter?

Are there other accessory items that we could buy that would help out her and the particular horses we are currently riding?

Thanks!
Mickey