Re: [RC] [RC] - Diane Trefethen

Curtis, Laura (LauraCurtis) wrote:

Warning Ridecamp!  I received an e-mail PayPal last night confirming my order for $699.00.  I have never bought anything from PayPal.  If you click on 'Cancel Transaction', it askes for your PayPal password or wants you to create one, which includes your e-mail address.  I am deleting the e-mail and reporting it as spam.  The "TO" in the e-mail came from Ridecamp.  Did anyone else receive such an e-mail?

It was not "spam".  It was a "phisher".

It was NOT from PayPal.

It's purpose was to steal your personal information.

Unfortunately, your clicking on the link gave the thieves your email address.

If you can change your eddress without undue hardship, do it.

ANYTIME YOU RECEIVE ANY EMAIL THAT IS THE TINIEST BIT "OFF", do NOT click on it (activates embedded WebBug) and do NOT click on any links in the email.

Instead, Google the purported sender, in this case PayPal.  Search their site for their recommendations and tips on differentiating between THEIR legitimate emails and phishers.  Follow their instructions for handling the phisher.