Re: [RC] [RC] question about cockle burrs - Sky Ranch

I learned how to remove cockle burs when I lived in Texas.  Our pasture had a lot of big cockle burs, and the horses' tails could sometimes be tangled into a tight ball, full of burs.  It was horrible.

Here's the trick -- don't try to pull the bur out.  Instead, pull the hair off the bur.  It is amazing how easy it is to remove them if you do it this way.  I never had to use anything other than my fingers to do it, just pull the hair off the bur.  If you tug on the bur, you'll never get it out, at least not very easily!

Carla Richardson
Colorado