RE: [RC] Meeting Nov. 12 re: Natl Forest trails (Denver) - Smith, Dave

Carla:  You can go to the following website and download a ton of information that might be useful during your meeting: http://www.californiastatehorsemen.com/ENVIRO-poop.htm  This site highlights a number of SCIENTIFIC studies that show that horses cause little or no damage to trails, water quality, native plants, etc.  Good luck, hope your horse council can have an impact on the NFS decisions.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sky Ranch
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 6:03 AM
To: Ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Meeting Nov. 12 re: Natl Forest trails (Denver)

Anyone who can, especially if you're anywhere near the Denver, CO, area, please attend this meeting.  Here's your chance to speak up for horse use on trails in our (yes, *our*) national forest.

Francisco Valenzuela, FS Region 2 Recreation Planner and Wendy Haskins, White River National Forest, will be speaking at the Colorado Horse Council Annual Meeting.
To make an RSVP or for further information call 303-292-4981 or email cohoco@xxxxxxxxxx  You must register for the meeting but do not have to be a Horse Council member to go!

Sunday, November 12, 1pm

Red Lion Hotel
1975 Bryant Street
Denver, Co 80204

Francisco will be talking about the new Travel Management Rule that all of our National Forests will be undertaking. These plans will no doubt limit horse use and our access if we don't speak up and get involved. Wendy will be talking about the 36.5 miles of trails planned to be closed to horses (it is our belief that these are primarily due to hiker complaints) in the largest forest in Colorado and the 1st to undergo the Travel Management Planning process. Unfortunately, if the WRNF can do it, a precedent will be set that will make it easier and easier for horses to be shut out.

Horses are part of our heritage and part of the richness of our lives. So please join us on Sunday, Nov. 12th!  Speak up! Share this message with all your equine friends and enlist their involvement. Help us keep horses on the trail and keep the WILD in wilderness!

Thanks to anyone who can make this meeting.  I won't be able to, it's an 8 to 9 hr drive for me and I can't get away this weekend.

Carla Richardson
Colorado