Re: [RC] cost of horse living - roxanne kopp

Juli  - therein lies the problem....never, never add it up.  17 years ago when I got back into horses as an adult my non-horse husband wanted me to track expenses  - so for the first few weeks after I got my horse the list looked something like this: horse, saddle, all new tack, brushes, barn implements, feed, hay, bedding, etc. I quickly realized absolutely no good would come to me if he ever found out what this was costing so I stopped keeping track and tossed all receipts.  Months later when he finally got around to asking I told him that we weren't going to look at horse ownership costs we were going to look at horse ownership benefits: healthy wife, life in the country, plenty of chores to keep us fit, etc.  Now, more than 17 years later we now live in the middle of horse country outside of Louisville, have three horses, two teenagers who grew up riding - but still have that non-horsey husband.  We have a don't ask/don't tell policy.  He doesn't ask what it costs/ I don't tell.  Everyone stays happy.  Like those mastercard commercials....cost to own a horse...X dollars....joy of owning a horse....PRICELESS!

Roxanne
Then, assume another $50-$100 a month for incidentals.  That comes up to a total of $1840-$2340 per year for the basics.  That doesn?t include the tack or competitions, etc.

Ouch.  Perhaps I shouldn?t have added that up?.

Juli and the (expensive) Herd

Alpine (who is getting a masseuse and a chiropractor of his own to try and find the source of the mystery lameness.  That?s extra)

Merlin (who?s thankfully pretty healthy)