[RC] Cost of horses - there is more to the story - Karen Everhart

I have read, with interest, the various responses on the cost of keeping horses.  It is my opinion that there are a few things that have not been included by those who maintain their own horses at home, such as:  The cost of the land you own to keep horses; The buildings to house your horses and their depreciation.; Any machinery you own to mange pastures or move hay, etc;   Also, your truck/trailer and the various maintenance/insurance/depreciation;  Then, any equine insurance, mortality, morbidity or simply equine or farm liability.

There are few of us who would own the number of acres, or live in the locations we do, if we didn't keep horses.

So, I think folks who choose to keep their horses at home have to acknowledge that there are huge costs related to that (not to mention the work and effort to maintain your own place).  We have to include capital purchases of land and vehicles/trailers/tractors/, etc. that we use mostly for hauling horses or managing our property to maintain the horses.  Once you do that and then add the actual costs to feed, house, blanket, brush, shampoo, fly spray, worm, vaccinate, trim/shoe, halter, lead, float, repair, train, insure, etc., the realities of ownership are more accurately reflected.  Once you add up all the costs, boarding facilities begin to look pretty attractive:-)

We have closely tracked the actual costs to care for the rescued horses we have here and the annual expense, assuming NO veterinary emergencies, exceeds $3000 per year and we are on 240 acres in grazing country.  Yes, most of our rescues have to receive supplementary grain due to age or neglect, but their twice daily grain ration of a Senior pellet  and beet pulp and rice bran is less than 1/3 of the annual expense.

My expenses are validated by a website that I recently discovered.  Go to www.extension.org/horses  and click on the Learning Lessons on the top menu bar.  Then go to "costs of owning a horse".  Their assumptions are based on minimums.  This is a great website for those new to horse ownership, too.

It is expensive to keep a horse, and if you think differently, you are missing something:-)  BUT, it is expensive to have kids ( and other large critters).  Those that do both have to learn to be wise managers of their resources.

Karen Everhart MEd.
President- Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
email: President@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Owner/Operator Horse Calls LLC
Training, Centered Riding Lessons
CTR and Endurance Conditioning and Training
email: HorseCalls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.horsecalls.com

620-725-3402
316-648-5082