[RC] $1500/free care horse - Marlene Moss

I don’t know if your state requires a brand inspection or not.  In Colorado it is the responsibility of the seller to get a brand inspection to transport the horse to the new owner.  The brand inspector requires some kind of evidence that the seller actually owns the horse being sold.  Usually the previous brand inspection.  If I were you, and paying $1500 for the horse, you’d better make sure that you have legal title to the horse upon payment.  No problem if the horse isn’t registered – although you will also want to find out what it will take to get the horse registered.  Even if you don’t decide to do it, you want the paperwork as clean as possible in case you do, or a later owner.  I know with Arabs it is smart to register as young as possible.  I have a 9yo purebred arab mare – not registered, but she could be – for something ridiculous like $650.

But the brand inspector will be on your side to make sure that you have legal ownership of the horse.  You don’t want to pay $1500, even if the trainer says she plans to continue the care and then have some relative come take the horse from you.

Good luck – and don’t worry about a little teeth and feet work unless it points to bigger underlying issues.  I just got a 6yo that had never had her teeth done and she had ¾” hooks.  Nasty, but now she’s all better.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com