RE: [RC] [RC] Worth question? - Daniela Desilets

Hi Mickey!

I hope you don't mind me responding ... I am not an experienced oldtimer here. :-)

I cannot begin to answer your question about your filly's worth - it varies so much depending on where you are, breed, breeding, colour, etc.. I want to congratulate you on your purchase - and offer some encouragement. Last year I bought a long 2 year old, who is now a long 3 year old (running bred QH - linebred Sugar Bars with a bit of King, Leo, Poco Bueno and Two Eyed Jack). I have more general care experience than you (from the sounds of things, but could always be wrong), but far less riding experience. Regardless, we are a really good match, and we are working out, with the investment of a good trainer and lessons. He is super calm, just can be lazy and stubborn - but he's not a plug either (yes, contradictory I know - he can really move, just needs "motivation" LOL"). More that he's calm and exhibits his dominance in a sneaky and subtle manner, but is fairly easily won over and smart as a whip - might take a lot of time, but not a lot of really hard fighting, just a lot of discussion. :-) Persistent little bugger! If you and your filly are a good personality match, and you are comfortable with each other - you can work most issues out, especially with a good trainer/coach. I realize that he isn't "true endurance material" but he's the horse I fell in love with and have the greatest comfort level with, the first horse I bought myself. We are probably career LD material. LOL ;-)

I only wish to caution you with respect to the "offer" your trainer has made you ... there is no good reason in the world for the trainer to sell you a baby and give you free care ...unless they have a plan to get repaid later. Most boarding contracts have a clause whereby if you fall so much behind they can sell your horse. I paid $1500 Canadian for my registered QH - and let me tell you, what I have paid for board, a feed surcharge (an equine nutritionist balanced his ration and he is fed according to that recommendation), farrier, shots, worming and training FAR exceeds what I paid for the horse, by a good $6 500. You buy the horse, and get free care?? BULLSHIT!!! Buying the horse is the cheap part, it's the rest that costs. Please be careful - it's so easy to get excited at finally realizing a childhood dream, and to forget the big picture.

I would love to be wrong - but I have been taken for a ride more than once. And there is no FREE RIDE in horse ownership. My other "freebies" would have paid for my current horse. Please be sure to get everything in writing.

Hugs and best wishes!

Daniela and FF Sugar Stream Kid

Not only does Windows Live? OneCare? provide all-in-one PC care to keep your computer protected and well-maintained, but it also makes creating backup files a breeze. Try it today! http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca