Re: [RC] Worth question? - Laney Humphrey

"If she is not YET registered..." that implies that someone intends to register her. If that's you, what you pay for her has to include those costs. If it's the seller, I'd get her to do it before you buy her. The only reason to register a horse is to raise her value either as a broodmare or for re-sale. You're probably not thinking in those terms right now, but life happens and the value of an unregistered horse is much less than that of a registered animal if it does have to be sold. Potential buyers and breeders see registration as a bit of a guarantee that the animal is what it is represented as being. As someone else said, you can't ride papers, but because she is so young, you really are taking quite a gamble that she will turn out to be what you want. If she doesn't and she's registered, you have a better chance of recouping what you have put into her.
Like others who have responded, I'm wondering what the trainer is getting out of the horse that makes her willing to pay for her board and care, and for how long. And does she get any say in how she is trained and used? In other words, will the horse really be yours? What you are entering into reminds me a bit of people who were so eager to buy a house that they got into one of the exotic mortgages such as interest-only or ARM. Those seemed like such a good idea during the years of rapidly increasing house values, but now that the real estate market is flat, some folks are finding they are in over their heads and may loose far more than they can afford to. Along those lines, don't let the desire to own your own horse cloud your thinking about the real costs of ownership. You say you already have a horse to ride, so I would urge you to carefully consider the total costs of ownership, now and down the road (vet care being a biggie and the years until you can ride this horse) before signing any papers. This may sound hard-hearted, but if part of your motivation is to help your trainer place the 13 horses, in my opinion, both you and your trainer need to look long and hard at the financial realities of doing that. Selling horses, if done carefully is not the worst fate for them, and is far better than keeping them but not being able to provide adequate care.
As for what she's worth, how did $1500 get arrived at? If there are local sales newspapers/magazines where lots of horses are advertised, look at what horses comparable to her are going for.
Hope this helps,
Laney

Mickey Womack wrote:
So I have been pondering all the input I have received and one that sticks in my mind is this..............
Is the filly worth 1500$ if she is not yet registered? If not, does the fact that all board and care is FREE make up for it? Input please.
Mickey