RE: [RC] horses that won't run off and leave you - Paul Sidio

A couple of years ago, Pat Parilli and his wife Linda came to our town to do two days of seminars and demonstrations. It was very entertaining and there was some useful information too.  They did their whole show with horses running all over the arena at liberty and playing games. One of the things they had was a large round step platform for the horse to stand on .  (kind of like a giant upside down feed tub.) They would coax the horse to put its front feet on the platform and then get all four feet up there.. Like a circus elephant. It was impressive.

At the end of two days of showing us how to bond with our horses, they were doing their farewell grand finale laps around the arena. Music playing, Pat, Linda and their riders all cantering  and waving etc. It was very stirring. Suddenly the crowd gasped in horror. Linda's faithfull trained steed shyed at something and threw her off to the arena floor. After laying there for a minute, She rolled clear and jumped up to show the relieved crowd she was ok.

The faithfull Parilli Level Something trained horse left her lying there in the sand and bolted to the middle of the ring. It went right  to that stupid tub and put its front feet on it... and there it patiently stood until Linda limped up and caught it. An older  horseman sitting next to  me said, " Ahhh.. so that's the trick. Carry a big tub with you and if your horse throws you, turn the tub upside down so the horse comes back to stand on it. Hmmm I would never have thought of that. Yep this makes the two days well spent".

I have never tried it with my horse, but any of you are welcome to do so.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO