[RC] First Horse - Bruce Weary

  Dave Smith said:
     "Yes, at times it was pretty rocky.  I’ve gone off him no less than seven times.  Nothing broken, but a lot of bruises.  And the frustration at times seemed nearly unbearable.  He didn’t want to stay tied.  He couldn’t stand the custom saddle I had made for him.  He spooked at everything. There were those days when I thought I had bitten off much more than I could possibly chew.  But he forced me to learn how to handle him.  How to be his leader.  Nothing was easy.  Everything had to be earned."

     Mickey,
    I agree with Dave that this can be your experience with your first horse, and there may be some satisfaction at the end of it, if you survive, as he did. I also think there are a million horses out there for you to choose from to love and enjoy. I personally have found the well-trained, sensible ones that have no interest in harming me or my ability to put hay in his mouth just as easy to love, if not more so, than the challenging steed that Dave now enjoys. It very clearly is a personal choice, but sensibility dictates that at your level of experience, safer is better. Now when you get to MY stage of the game, that all changes. At MY age and MY experience, safer is even MORE better.    DR Q