[RC] first horse - Tx Trigger

We all have different goals on what we want to do with our horses. Because Ridecamp is a distance riding list, I assume "most" on here have the desire, or at least interest in riding long distances either in competition, or for pleasure with their horses.  That being said, for a person who has only one horse, most who want to do distance riding, usually want a horse that they can get out on the trail and ride now, and not wait while it grows up, without another horse around to enjoy the trails on.  Often one can purchase a young, or unbroke horse for much less than one of riding age for obvious reasons. Time and training is worth the additional value of horses that are a bit older and the training has been at least started. But, look at the bigger picture. It cost the same to feed and care for all horses, be it a 2 year old that still needs a few years to grow up and be able to hit the trail, vs. an experienced broke horse that you can go out and ride tomorrow.

When buying ones first horse, while we do have to go with our gut and heart as to if this horse is a good match for us, we also need to be logical, and look ahead to what we want to be doing with the horse, and again, if it is still a good match. Some folks love to work with a youngster, and bring it along slowly, and are content to not be riding it for a couple years. An 18 month old horse, even one that is built stocky and of Quarter horse type, is still a baby, and only light training should be done for at least a couple years. Even though trainers start riding 2 year olds, and even show them under saddle, the longevity of the horse is what we need to look at, and it is shown that waiting until the horse is older and more developed will usually lengthen the horses useful years.

Good luck with your new horse Mickey. But do really look at the big picture of what your goals are. You may find that waiting a while longer, and looking for a horse that is ready for you to go ride is what would suit your desires more. Or, you may feel this horse is indeed, a perfect match for you, and you want the experience of working with the horse, training it, and can wait to hit the trails for a couple years.

Jonni in TX