RE: [RC] Back issue on 100s. Seems like heat. Ideas? - Karen Standefer

Is it possible it could be the synthetic material more than a heat issue?  It sure sounds odd that the DM would cause extra heat?

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patty Stedman
Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:54 AM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Back issue on 100s. Seems like heat. Ideas?

Well I've got the off season to figure this one out.

On the last two hundreds I've done, my horse got soreness in his back at about 90 miles.  Not muscle soreness, not bruising, it seems like an issue with heat, as it is tender/owie to the touch, then scurfs within a few days.  Sure sucks to see your horse otherwise eager and all As until the vet checks the back.  <insert horrified look here>

When it happened at 90 miles on the first 100 this season (a warmer ride), I switched to another saddle and pad and finished the ride.  I had been riding with a Sports Saddle/Skito/Dixie Midnight.

So for the next 100, I ditched the DM, and messed around with my Skito inserts a bit.  Again, nice uniform skin owies at about 90  miles.  :-(  Again, I switched my saddle and pad and finished the ride.

I'm considering trying a Supracor to replace the DM.

Hell, I'd switch back to the Albion dressage saddle I used to compete in, or try another saddle entirely, but my horse votes for the Sports Saddle.  It is clear from his freedom of movement that this is his favorite although I still do his dressage schooling and some conditioning rides in the Albion as it is SO much better for my equitation.

This is a hard issue to fix/test/resolve since I don't have any trouble at all until around 90 miles.  I am open to suggestions and wonder if anyone found the Supracor superior to the DM in dissipating heat (I think heat is the issue here -- this is a horse with notoriously lousy skin, but has been getting regular thumbs-ups from the chiropractor all season long) without irritating the skin ...

Many thanks in advance.  If you prefer to email me privately, that's great, as it might be a too-horse-specific question to be of use to the general Ridecamp gang.

--Patti (NY)

Patti Stedman

EarthLink Revolves Around You.