Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 2:54 PM
Subject: [RC] Falling off your horse

Okay, so here's my contribution to "falling off your horse"  Year before last, Jordan (then 7 yrs old) and I were riding in the Old Glory ride.  Jordan spotted a pair of dried deer antlers that were hanging on a fence.  It was one of those things she sees that she "HAD TO HAVE!!!"  Being the loving grandma that I am, I got off of Rocket and retrieved the antlers.  The only place I could "safely" store them was in my cantle bag with the prongs sticking out.  Back up on Rocket and away we go.  Another couple of miles down the trail, Rocket throws an easy boot.  Now I have to get down again and fetch the easy boot.  As I swung my right leg up and over the back of my saddle, the top of my tall riding boot catches on an antler spike and as I am trying to free my right leg, my left foot slipped out of my stirrup.  Now I am hanging upside down on the side of my horse.  Jordan is screaming her head off, and Rocket is standing there (thank God!) looking at me with that "Whatcha doin' now Mom?" look on his face.   For the life of me, I could not reach up to unzip my boot, and my thought after the initial "OH SH#T!!" was, "Well Stanley, this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!!"  Fortunately, some other riders showed up, unzipped my boot and dumped me on the ground.  Lesson learned....never pick up deer antlers on a trail ride.

Patty Israelson

Checked by AVG Free Edition.