RE:[RC] Ain't doing right - long - heidi

Jessica, you've had some good responses, but I'll throw in a couple more comments.

First, YES, you did the right thing by pulling.  Your young mare was telling you as best she could that something, somewhere, isn't right.

That said, the fact that the white hairs and thickening are only coming on ONE side is an important clue.  There is something asymmetrical going on--so odds are it is something to do with the mare, rather than the saddle itself, IMO.  (Although saddles can be built crooked, too....)  The posters who have suggested chiro examination are right on the mark.  But I'd add that since many chiro problems are secondary to dental problems AND YOUR MARE IS STILL YOUNG ENOUGH TO BE TEETHING, I'd suggest first having a good dental exam done even before you call the chiro.

Also, the age of your mare is another clue with regard to her spinal development.  She may be trying to compensate for discomfort from doing too much too soon.  Again, a good chiro exam will help to determine that--but do keep in mind that part of the solution may simply be time to mature, once you've figured out her problems.

Ulcers are certainly possible--although her eating behavior is typical.  My bet is on a biomechanical problem somewhere in the spine, and that would be the first place I'd look, although it never hurts to check for ulcers, either.

Heidi

My question to you is did I overreact or might she have some sort of problem?  It was suggested that maybe she has ulcers – so I will be calling my vet today to follow up – but has anyone had a similar experience?  Her saddle seems to fit okay – but she does have a touch of thickening around a white spot on her left wither area that showed up recently.  She’s never showed any indications of a poor saddle fit otherwise, she’s never been reluctant to trot or canter, she’s never been so stretchy and uncomfortable.  Occasionally over the summer she would eat half her supper and then walk away not feeling “right” but after walking her for a little bit, she would go back and eat the rest of her supper and be fine afterwards – are these two things related?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=