From: Chris Paus
Sent: Sunday, November 05, 2006 8:26 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Conditioned VS NonConditioned

Cindy, I certainly understand what you mean.

On Friday, I loaded up my old campaigner, he's 19, and headed 275 miles south to a ride. I entered the LD which was 30 miles. Now neither Star nor I are race conditioned, but I know we can "git er done" as in complete. That was my goal. Even if it meant the turtle award.

We haven't been in competition hardly at all this year. Two CTRs, one in May and one in June. nothing but a few trail rides near home since then.

He's on pasture turnout 24-7. Is a bit overweight. We ride about once a week, 5 to 10 miles max, usually not very fast. I have 3 other horses to keep ridden, so I just don't get to Star as much as I should.

Anyway, long story short, this old pasture puff and me finished the 30 with an hour to spare in our ride time. We rode faster than our usual for fun riding time, but we paced ourselves at the back of the pack and rode our own ride. The vets all commented on how great he looked. He finished with all A's on his score card.

He got a few hours of rest at the trailer and then we loaded up and drove back home that night.

I was kinda worried how he would do, but when I let him out of that trailer, he immediately chased his pasture partners and raced them out to their big field.

And yes, I looked this horse in the eyes, and he said, "Thanks mom for believing in me and letting me get out there and do it again."

"Whisper words of wisdom, let it be." The Beatles

Chris

Checked by AVG Free Edition.