[RC] Conditioning a New Horse - Early Years, and Turn-Out - Stagg_Newman

Two important point to consider in developing a conditioning program for
a new horse is how the horse spent his early years and what type of turnout
the horse will have.

Ramegwa Drubin and Jayel Super both came pre-conditioned even
though I was the first rider to sit astride either.   Drubin was raised
on a 140 acre farm in the Pocono Mountains.   Lots of rock and I
do not think there was flat acre on the farm.  Super was raised
with a large herd of horses running on a 200 acre farm in Kentucky.

Note that we have had other horses who were raised in much smaller flat
pastures.  They had to brought along more slowly and carefully.

BTW I have heard (altho it may be folklore) that wild horses in
the West may cover about 50 miles each day on average.  I suspect
those mustangs are "pre-conditioned".

One also needs to consider how much exercise your horse will
get on its own.  Our horses are turned out in a rolling 7 acre pasture
most of the time.  So our horse "exercise" themselve most days.

On the other hand a horse confined to a samll paddock may need
to do modest conditioning rides several times a week.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.