[RC] Calcium question - antacids - Danelle Jones

On the subject of Calcium levels, and at the risk of asking a very stupid question...

I have recently read that one of the most readily available sources of calcium to humans are antacids - as Calcium Carbonate (CaCO3) apparently it is easily up taken, more so than some other supplemented forms. (Willett, Walter C., and P J. Skerrett. Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: the Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating. Free P, 2002.)

My question is if this is the case in humans, can we:

a) assume that calcium will be similarly, readily available to equines in this form?
b) if antacids are merely CaC03, could we feed as 'treats' rather than the 'occasional mint'?
c) could this be an easy way to offset awkward Ca/P levels in electrolytes and other supplements?

I'm certainly not talking about competition level dietary precision, nor using calcium in this form instead of a 'proper' supplement, just curious as I found the human scenario interesting. (?)

(NB. The product we use at home, 'Mylanta rolltabs', each tablet consists:
Active Ingredients - Calcium Carbonate 317mg and Magnesium Hydroxide 64mg
Contains - Sucrose, Glucose. Obviously we'd be looking for a pretty straight CaCO3 product, with few additives)

Thanks all in advance for your input,

--
Danelle Jones

Australia: