Re: [RC] WEC 2008 - Diane Trefethen

The debate here on Ridecamp over the direction of FEI/International Endurance tended to be in the same category as hens picking at each other... until Kat's thoughtful and unpleasantly accurate assessment of the relationship between high caliber Endurance rides and the observations/opinions of the generally ignorant public and media. Endurance as a spectator sport is boring and the only planned "excitement" consists of one brief dash to the finish line. Even that is boring too if there is only one horse there at a time. On the other hand, just as car crashes provide excitement in auto racing (another boring sport but not as boring as Endurance), horses in crisis too provide a sort of excitement. We do NOT want those outside the sport to see the pulls without their being able to put these pulls in the context of thousands of hours of careful preparation and competition. The public will not remember that 60 horses successfully traversed 50 fast miles, 50 of those another 10 miles, 40 more completed 80 miles and 30 raced 100 miles. They won't SEE those efforts so what's to remember? They WILL see the lamenesses and iv's so THAT is what they'll remember. That is what their impression of Endurance will be, a bunch of lame, sick horses that need iv's to survive... and some of them die anyway. This latter vision of our sport is NOT good and so yes, we had darn well better figure a way to fly below the radar or the AERC will be dismantled by lawsuits and we will all be poorer for having no legitimate Endurance venue.

We here in the US bemoan the racing turn that international competition has taken. The comments about leaving rocks on the WEG 2008 course are attempts to figure out a way to change the focus from an 8 hour dash to a "real" Endurance competition. Some have suggested that a more technical trail than the flat Dubai desert would help while others have pointed out that since the goal is winning... there is only this one race on this one day... every rider who wants the gold has to push his/her horse to its absolute limit and technical smechnical won't make a damn bit of difference in the quality of the race.

This conundrum got me thinking and I realized that this problem isn't with the sport. It is with the perceptions of some who participate. They see Endurance as a RACE ONLY. The enduring part is completely ignored. We need to find a way to replace "racing" with "enduring". After all, that is the norm in the other equestrian sports that involve time. In Open Jumping, speed counts a lot but a horse that completes clean will beat out a horse that is 10 seconds faster who knocked down a fence. In other words, the GOAL is a clean round with SPEED as a filter to the clean rounds. In Polo, a fast pony is great but if he is too hyper to be maneuvered into position to take a shot on goal he's worthless. The GOAL is to score and speed is a tool to get up and down the field. The only equestrian discipline that rewards the fastest horse still alive at the finish is Horse Racing. Currently, International Endurance has the same objective, except that the horse must appear to be sound instead of just alive. Otherwise, they're the same.

How do we make "finishing first" the filter instead of the objective?