Re: [RC] What is a "reasonable pace"? - Don Huston

Hello Susan,
I ride strictly by the motto "To Finish Is To Win" so my training regimen is not as strenuous as the top 10ers. IMHO 9-10miles 4 times a week at speeds fast enough to complete a 25 (1hr-50min) would be over-training. I think 2-3 of your 2.5hr loops is perfect but you do need one faster loop a week. Before my horse's first 25 I work up to a true GPS 10mi loop in 1hr-50min but I only do it once a week at that speed. The rest of the time I ride even slower on average than you already do but I put in a mile (perfect dirt and grass trail) at 22-26mph then trot some till the breathing comes down then maybe get off and teach the horse to follow me or let him graze a bit just whatever. The 160 heart rate while trotting is high and indicates you are indeed riding a green horse but over the next 6-12 months it should come down to 110+/-. I would not keep trotting at 160, 140 is my limit. I would walk it back down then resume trotting but I am an old guy and I use any and all excuses to rest. Walking in and jumping off to a 50 HR indicates to me that you are doing very good LSD (Long Slow Distance) training. When you do your once-a-week fast 10miler and walk in only 1/2mi and the pulse drops to 60 in 10min or less (might be 75-85 at dismount) you did good, 20mins you rode too fast, 30mins too fast and something is wrong (back pain, hoof pain, etc) and you need to find it. Basicly I think your training is very good and you will have no trouble with a 25, just don't get in a hurry up or down steep hills, walk. Go a little faster on the flats to make up for the walking because that's what your horse is conditioned for at this point. Good luck is always nice and have fun.
Don Huston