From: David LeBlanc <dleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Cindy Collins <c_collins@xxxxxxx>; Ridecamp <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, November 1, 2006 8:13:07 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] re: any horse can do 25 miles

Cindy said:

>You know if everyone would go back to my "original" quote:
"any horse that can go 10-15 miles in training at a reasonable pace should
be able to finish a 25 miler in 6 hours." There wouldn't be much to argue
about.

Sure, and when you qualify it like that, I don't have any argument with you.
I do have a disagreement with Linda, and a lot of other people who don't
qualify their assertion that any pasture potato can do 25 miles as you have.

I wasn't disagreeing with _you_, nor was I twisting your words. I've seen
this particular thread go by too many times, and I think it's dangerous. It
leads people to underestimate how much work even a 25 would be, especially
up here on some of our mountainous rides. I wouldn't pull a horse out of the
pasture and try and do 25 miles in a trail ride, much less ask them to do it
at speed in the excitement of an endurance ride, and I don't think you're
disagreeing with me, either.

Christina is wanting to be cautious, and that's a great trait in this sport,
doubly so for someone who's new.