[RC] [RC] Bare VS Shod: There must be a compromise - sherman

I recently asked a ride manager that question as the entry stated that all horses must be shod & I was not planning on ever shoeing my horse who at 8 yrs old hadn’t had shoes yet. I was told that boots are fine, and what was really meant by the statement was “hoof protection” is required.  Unfortunately, Sonny kept getting rubs with gaiters, losing boots without them, so I put shoes on him for his first ride. I hope he’ll be able to use boots for the upcoming year. He naturally wears his toes down when he’s barefoot, so my farrier shaped the shoes to his hoof and he’s doing well with them, but I really prefer using the boots IF I can make them work without rubs or constantly losing them.

Kathy

I have a Newbie question:  Donna Snyder Smith in her book on endurance riding, states that all competing horses must be shod. I know she wrote that book some time ago.  Is that a superseded rule or is it still in effect? I don’t ever plan on shoeing my mustang.  I am considering boots, however. --Dave