[RC] Little boys and riding - sherman

Abetta makes a 13” and 14” saddle that is so lightweight with a full quarter tree (I’m pretty sure judging from the horses I used it on). It stays put very well on narrow horses as well, and with the light weight of a young child would likely not cause any soreness. My kids used the 14” from the time they were 6 (it was a little big then) ‘til 11 yrs old. You can pick them up for about $100-150 used, and after a couple of years, sell it to the next child who needs it (mine is with my 10 yr old nieces now, along with our 25ish POA). Sweat pants are good to ride in if it’s not too hot, and recently a riding friend has started wearing baseball pants, long ones. He says they’re perfect for the guy who gets rubs from jeans but still can’t bear to wear tights.

Kathy

My son is 5 yrs old and has started riding with me.  He is currently riding an older Arabian in a western pony saddle.  I have been searching the archives for info on children's saddles, but what I am looking for is a saddle that might be a little bit big right now, but he can grow into later.(Not 10 yrs later tho)  My preference would be something that has an adjustable tree.  I have an arab gelding that I currently ride, both arabs in our family are narrow.  The horse that I eventually see my son riding is our very large paint gelding. (Massive muscle, needs a sign on his Butt that says " wide load")  So I am wanting to get a saddle that will fit my son securely, comfortably, and fit any of our horses comfortably.  I ride a specialized saddle and am loving it.  I would just like some feed back on different saddle choices.  I would also like some advice on what little boys are comfortable riding in.  His dad acted like it was the most horrible thing in the world when I mentio!

ned buying some riding tights.  So then my son said, "Mo

m, people will laugh at me"  I have been letting him wear his wranglers, and have noticed little rub marks on the inside of his knees.  I asked him where he got them and he said "I don't know"  So I am assuming it is from the denim.  So what are some of our up and coming jr. boys doing?  There isn't a large selection of boys breeches to be found either.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Vickie