Re: [RC] "Dan the Mule Man" ... was 'safe' horse keeping - Elizabeth Chase

Oh, I planned to buy a copy of her book the day someone put a link to the
website, and only waited long enough to get the funds in my PayPal account
before ordering it.

I carry it with me constantly, and sometimes wind up reading parts aloud to
others (even in the doctor's office) when I start chuckling and am asked
'what's so funny?'

I loved 'Dan the Mule Man' because I was born and raised in Alabama, over by
Tuscaloosa, and grew up riding along on the mules who were plowing the fields
(the poor black farmers still used that wedge thing, couldn't afford something
with wheels unless one of them was a blacksmith)....  brings back lots of
memories for me....

I very much appreciate her type of humour, which to me is ' "stuff" is gonna
happen, so you might as well adjust your attitude to deal with it in the best
possible way ---- with a sense of humour, cock-eyed though it may be"......
far better, and more fun,  than getting undies in a bundle about that which is
beyond our control......

...Many of Angies' tales reminded me of adventures of my own, particularly when
I was a medic/leadership instructor in the Army, and now as a trauma nurse....
a wry sense for life will save your own mental health in the long run, and may
contribute to the mental health of a few along the way... so it's all a good
thing.

At this point, being new to this sport, I'm reading everything I can get my
mitts on. But Angie's book brings it home, makes it 'touchable', 'real' for me.
I can hardly wait to experience my own story fodder and observe the world she
has made a peephole to watch through.

Saving now for AERC & UMECRA memberships (after poor Caleb's health
stabilizes),

Liz (the money shrub)
Delphi (Caleb, you a such a money pit, but you make for a good goal stop)
Caleb (One of these days I'll just jump over you for the fun of it, shortie)
Minnesota

--- "TypeF (Jackie Floyd)" <typef@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Although it's VERY hard to choose, I'd have to say favorites are
"Substitionary Spending," "Truck Camping" and "Sex and the Endurance Rider."

In the process of putting Angie's book together, I must have read all 60
stories at least a half a dozen times ... I never stopped laughing. And her
cartoons are hilarious ... being out of the sport for so many years, I
really had no idea who Angie was a couple of years ago, or that she DREW,
until she started sending me all the cartoons for the book. It's been a
great project to work on.  If you haven't got a copy, you're missing out!
www.lightersideofendurance.com

:) Jackie
www.typef.com

(http://voice.yahoo.com)