[RC] Training Miles Needed - Not so many - Stagg_Newman

Personally believe our horses do best with focused training and plenty of
rest rather than lots of miles.  Horses are far superior to humans as endurance
athletes (and in other ways :>)  ) and need far less mileage comparitively.

In preparation for first the Canadian National 100 Mile Championship Aug. 31
and then the AERC National Championship on Oct. 20, here was Jayel Super's
weekly training program.  Note that Super is 14 with a 10 year base now and over 15 100s.

-2 equitation lessons per week of about 40 minutes in a sand arena,
      walk, trot, cantor, shoulder-in, leg yield, etc.  - total mileage - neglibible
1 mountain workout of 10 to 20 miles with intense uphill work (2000 to 4000 ft of climbing)
       and easy on the downhill (easy trot or walk or rider jogging beside the horse -
       Super's favorite :>)   )
4 days of rest per week.

Jayel Super won and received BC at the Canadian National.
Jayel Super was 2nd at the AERC Championship to the fantastic winning team of John Crandell and Heraldic
Super was  A's on attitude, impulsion and gait with a 48/48 CRI 10 minutes after crossing finish line.

Note endurance horses should be built up gradually over several years.  Ideally they
are raised in an environment where they can run around and grow up tough.

IMO many of the rules of thumb for endurance horse are incorrect.
People have taken them from training for human runners.  The rules of thumb
put far too many miles on our horses.  When I trained for the classic marathon distance
of 26 miles, I trained 50 to 60 miles a week, i.e. twice the mileage of the competition.
By contrast, Super does less than 20% of the mileage of the competition or a factor of 10 less.

Key takeway is don't overtrain  - train smart and save the miles for the competition.

information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
disclose or take any action based on this message or any
information herein.  If you have received this message in
error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.