Re: [Norton AntiSpam] Re: [RC] re: training miles needed/speed - Truman Prevatt

I have several "conditioning routes" in the forest. They run from maybe 6 miles to up to 20 miles in 5 mile increments. I've ridden two different horses for the most part over the last 17 years. Those are the routes I ride for conditioning. I use other routes for hacking around. They both know the routs and they knew that when we are on those routes we are there to boogie and they do. They even know the galloping hills were we let it out full blast and they will pick it up before they are asked. I've never had a problem with enthusiasm on these routs. In fact if I am out for a "pleasure ride" in the forest I have to be careful to not exactly ride those routs.

They seem to know why were are there. They both were very forward and love to go and when we are on our routes they are all business. If I break it up and throw in a different trail they are much different.

I hadn't ridden the mare for several years- she was playing mom. I started taking her out to just hack around and get her out. One day I made the mistake to chose one of these routes not necessarily thinking about it. Well she remembered and we were off. Since she really wasn't in shape to do that at that speed, I turned off onto another trail and she settled back down to a sane trail ride.

Truman

Sky Ranch wrote:
I agree! Whenever I ride with someone else, my horse's ears are pricked, and even if it's a trail we've done a 150 times, he's forward. If he's on a *new* trail, he's the same way. He just gets bored, when he knows the trail. I understand and sympathize--I get the same way.
One of these days, I can just imagine both of us quietly snoring as we amble down a trail...!
Carla Richardson
Colorado

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein