[RC] Great Vacation Spot - Mickey Womack

For all you trail riders - if you want a fantastic vacation spot go check out www.tsylos.com.

We have been there two years in a row.  It is located in the Coast Mountains about 150km north of Vancouver, BC.  You are out in the middle of no where and have to fly there on a 10-passenger plane from Vancouver.  Calling the arrival spot a "landing strip" is a very large exaggeration and it is exhilarating before you ever get to the lodge.  You can opt to do the "lodge riding" for a week which means sleeping in cabins with showers and eating at the lodge. Or - you can go on their mountain pack trips which take you places you can't even imagine!

They have mountain horses that you ride all week that are very well conditioned.  One day we ride 14 miles in about 8 hours down the lake on the side of a mountain.  The whole day is up and down in the woods and the views are spectacular.  When we get to the other end of the lake a boat takes us back to the lodge.  The horses have all of their tack removed and are set free to find their way home.  They get back to the lodge before we are done with dinner.  The lodge owner says that he has watched them "run" most of the way home.  It is amazing.  When we went out on the porch after dinner all of the horses were freely grazing around the lodge without any halters or fences.

I have ridden a huge (almost 17h) QH/Clydesdale cross, a very nice gelding QH (trail lead), and a VERY small QH (about 14-1/2 h).  All of them performed admirably.  Of course the Clydesdale cross pretty much plowed her way through any obstructions and I had to guard my legs closely on the tight trails.  The little mare, Delilah, was at an all out run on the prairie when the geldings were cantering but she wasn't even sweaty when we got to the end of the road.

My husband rode a fantastic Tennessee Walker that would outpace the QH's when they were cantering and he was trotting.

I can't say enough good things about this family run, small group vacation.

If you have an questions or want to see pictures just send me an e-mail.

Mickey
Dallas, Texas (we get to see trees when we go to Canada)