[RC] Fast rides~Decade Plus Horses~ - Mrs Christina Hykw

All this chatting about fast times had me wondering, do the horses that are being raced last a long time
in their career.  I'm a newbie & my main reason for
trying this sport was an introduction to it by a friend
and I thought my horse would enjoy himself in it and
he does, so he is my main reason for trying distance
riding, now we both enjoyed ourselves and have been conditioning & saving dollars for riding in 2007.
Farrier issues held us back in '04-'05 & $$$ held us back in '06 (new house/car came first).  SO, now we have a Distance riding savings account, and are hoping things will all come together for a full season.

My biggest concern is that he & I do this sport *together*, and a long time.  I have been trying to get a grasp of a good average time to aim for....to keep in mind while training~ while all the LD/50 chat has lended over some ideas on what is average & what is too speedy, I would love to learn about what type of riding lends itself to longevity~
While I have other horses coming up,
I would love/hope/pray/train that this one
is for sure a longevity horse.
Thanks in advance & God Bless
~Christina~