RE: [RC] [RC] Coolers-the long version - Ranelle Rubin

Dawn,

I have three..oh wait..four..

a cotton anti-sweat sheet that I use mostly in the summer to get them dry quickly and encourage evaporation, but also in spring and fall..I would have to say I use this the most. I then replace it with one of the following:

at a ride, I use a wool cooler if it is breezy for vet checks (you can also pick up an old wool blanket at a thrift store and easily make a wool cooler..especially if you are concerned you might not get it back from the outcheck..I bought my wool one at a tack swap really cheap.

at the end of the ride, once my horse is dry I will typically put on the wool cooler if it is back from an out check or I use a polar fleece..and travel home with the polar fleece as well..mostly because it is safer in the trailer than the wool cooler and warmer once they are dry..

I really don't like to put anything too heavy on them until they are dry..so if it is breezy and cold and they are wet..I will sometimes even put the cotton sweat sheet on with a cotton sheet over..maybe even a wool cooler over..but I like to get them dry asap..but keep them away from draft at the same time.

I think cotton or wool absorb water better, but typically switch to something else once they are dry.

At a warm summer ride, I replace the wool or polar fleece with a cotton sheet for overnight.

This sounds like alot, but it really isn't..just depends on temp..I have bought several of my blankets at tack swaps and ranch sales..always looking for a bargain..can you imagine the colors I have??

Hope this helps,

Ranelle Rubin
Coaching and Consulting Services
The Coaching Center