Re: [RC] LD/50 times - Truman Prevatt

terre wrote:
David said:
That's not what anyone has said. They said the 50 mile riders went about 15%
faster. So if the 50 was won in 5 hours even, a typical LD the same day
would be won in about 2:50.

The problem with this observation--which is probably true--is that it acts as if the two populations of horses and riders were identical except for the distance being ridden. That, I think, is not at all true.

I think the majority of the entrants in an LD are less "race ready" than the entrants in a 50--old horses, young horses, horses recovering from injuries, new riders, old riders, families with children, people who don't have time to condition, people with health issues, people who just plain aren't competitive and don't want to beat themselves up. Even the 50 mile horses/riders doing an LD are usually do so for a reason--like just having done a tough 50 or 100 recently, or whatever--otherwise they would probably do the 50.
After my last look at the database I think that may have been true some years back but I'm not sure it is today.

I know in the SE your faster LD riders have are normally riding horses that are fit for what they're asked to do. In FL I can tell you that there are a lot of riders that ride 50 and LD and CTR on the same horse. That's been the case since I started riding distance sport down here. The horse is ready, but many times it's the rider that is the reason for the choice of what is done.

The

--

“Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.” Albert Einstein