Re: [RC] LD Ideas - JANUSTUDIO

In a message dated 10/24/2006 6:48:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have no opinion on the RMs posting times for LDs, however, I’ve never NOT known my own ride time on any AERC ride and even most conditioning rides that I’ve done. Why the RMs would have to tell riders their time? I guess Don just answered my question…

Kathy>

Another answer... (1) I like to look up the ride times when I'm going to a new ride to access the difficulty of the ride.  Even if it is 'only' a LD.
(2) Some times I like to race! Same as any other distance. With LD, one must be on a fit horse and use strategy because of the required pulse finish.  This is great, this is fun! Please, please just look at the stats.  The LDs aren't going any faster than the longer distances.
(3) I like to have some recognition of my accomplishment, even if it is 'only' a LD.  It is a competition.
(4) LD can be used for many things, just like the longer distances.  As conditioning rides, as learning rides, or as a competition. In any case, I want to see how I did compared to the other riders in my distance.

One may 'learn' with the LD or a fifty.  Heck my first endurance attempt was the Old Dominion, way back when they only offered the 100 miles. I learned a lot!
Didn't turn me off, or make me want to quit at all.  Either you have the 'bug' or you don't.

Requiring RMs to include LD is wrong though. That is a decision that only they (RMs) should make.  AERC doesn't 'require' a 100 to be put on with a 50.  LD is just another option.  But, when it is a division offered, it is only fair to run it as a standardized competition across the country.

Janice ~ whose favorite is a multi day LD ~ with times posted...