Re: [RC] [RC] Safe Containment - Dawn Carrie

On 10/25/06, Maryanne Gabbani <msgabbani@xxxxxxx> wrote:
We tie our horses for their meals to make sure that they eat their
own food and only their own. The advantage is that every time you tie
them up they think that it's a meal time. (No, we are not abnormally
or even normally rigid in our punctuality for feeding.)  So this
bunch of horses will stand tied until hell freezes as long as once in
a while you toss them some food and supply a bit of water. Quite
simple really.

Our bunch is the same way...they all run in the same pasture, and have to be separated at feeding time.  We have tie rings with lead ropes and buckets on trees all around the barn.  Each horse knows his or her tree.  Some only get a handful of pellets as a reward for being tied.  Others get quite a bit of food. (depends on workload, age, and degree of pudge they're packing)  All have to stand tied till the slowest eater is done.  Sometimes we get busy and...err...forget about them for a bit.  Like Maryanne's horses, ours will stand patiently tied till hell freezes over.  They simply cock their hip and doze till we release them.  Any new youngsters we get quickly learn patience, and that fidgeting gets them nowhere.

Dawn in East Texas