[RC] Fw: [RC] Horrible Accident- Long - indiancp

below is a post that i wrote to someone last night. this is georgia. i've often wondered if we were REALLY in the wrong...didn't seem we should be but what do you think?

patty in georgia

Man does not have the only memory,
The animals remember,
The earth remembers,
The stones remember,
If you know how to listen, they will tell you many things.

Claude Kuwanijuma - Hopi Spiritual leader.

.
 many years ago my daughter had a pony mule.  one night he and my
own mule (who is 29 and never gets out now) got out. they went down the road and i went to get them but had to lead one at a time back as they wouldn't cooperate. this was a simple country road with almost never any traffic. i got mine home and got the other to the end of our drive. the road was narrow and very dark. as we turned into the drive the mule balked and stopped with just his rear sticking out in the road, the rest of him was in the drive. a truck topped the hill and slammed into the mules rear. i was standing right at his shoulder and let go of the lead and threw myself backwards. he was knocked twenty to thirty feet down the road. i'll never forget the sound and the horror. one second he was there and the next he was gone. we had to shoot him and it nearly killed me. the man that hit him left the scene but the state patrol tracked him by the oil and pieces of truck in the road. he was drunk, had no insurance and no driver's license yet WE were to blame they said. they told the man if he'd fix his own truck they wouldn't arrest him and of course he said he would. and then i had to come in and tell my little girl that her beloved trucker was dead. to this day i haven't told her that we shot him. i had nightmares for months.