From: RHONDA LEVINSON <rhndlev@xxxxxxx>
To: chrisnstar@xxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2006 3:57:28 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Horrible accident - why?

Actually, so no one in Kansas panics, the livestock owner is liable in
Kansas ONLY if the owner knew or had reason to know that the animals might
get out.  For example, if your fence was very rickety and your animals had
gotten out before.  Our statutes set out requirements for fencing, but
violation of those statutes does not per se render you liable if your
animals get out.

Also, as an aside, it wouldn't be the insurance company suing the horse
owners, it would be the deceased persons families.  Insurance companies are
out there to protect us in the event that someone gets hurt because of our
own fault or negligence.  So, your own insurance company won't sue you to
get back money that it pays out on your behalf, unless you have somehow
defrauded the company.

Rhonda