Re: [RC] Are the LD's feeding 50's? - steelsidedown

I might be over -simplifying ...... again .......

LD's are popular, they bring in a lot of new folks to the sport and a lot of
revenue.  We need both.  Agreed?

So why are so many so hostile?

Is it because of the "racing LD's"?  Can't that be "fixed" by not awarding
first?  Optimum time or completions only?  Ride managers can handle that on
their level - problem solved?

Why are we so against folks who enjoy LD's and never move up?  They are sound
support for the organization, same as me doing a 50. They are simply enjoying
the trail on their level.  Encourage them to "move up" by all means, but
certainly don't put down anyone's effort.

If its "logistically" difficult, thats understandable, just as many rides
aren't able to offer a 100.

Ride managers in the east are struggling to break even.  There are already so
few rides here, (I'm 5 hours away from the closest ride) seems discouraging any
enteries isn't a financially sound decision.

Jen, in VA
-not a career LD'er, but have no GOOD reason to be against them either.

---- Tx Trigger <txtrigger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Amber posted: >>>*I* feel and I know I am not alone that to snub the LD
riders at any event is going to cost that ride manager come the next year. I
would like to see the RM put on a ride without the revenue of the LD
riders.<<<

Actually, a bunch of rides already do it WITHOUT offering an LD division.
The first to come to mind are the five XP rides that Dave Nicholson puts on.
And he does not "need" the LD division. His rides are growing, with larger
turn outs. The first day of the Cuyama XP had 155 riders, second 127, third
94. Mt Carmel, 94, 56 and 44. Ft. Shelbourne, 57, 46, 42, 40, 44. Bryce
Canyon, 66,51,70, 60 and 50.  With the exception of Cuyama, most of these
rides are not "close" for most people. Even Cuyama requires at least a few
hours or more of drive time for  some of the closest riders.

And I've been to one day rides that did not want to offer a LD ride. Some
managers do it for the love of the sport, and don't look at the revenue end
of it. Some of the ride managers that have been around the sport a long,
long time, find the LD division a lot of extra work, and prefer to just
offer the endurance ride, and not deal with the whole LD division. And, that
is the ride managers choice, as to what distance they offer. I thank all of
them for any ride they put on. Been on the management end some, and it is a
ton of work.

Jonni in TX