[RC] At least one good thing about starting the NC50 early - Mary Howell

Late yesterday afternoon, after finishing the NC 50. Jennifer Supinger and I
were hanging out with 2nd to finish FW Amy Cieri and her friend Dawn in the
treatment barn. Amy and Dawn had just happened to notice her mare Ruby (NS
Love Potion) had peed much darker than was normal, and to be on the safe
side were administering fluids until Ruby finally peed clear.

Amy said Ruby's bloodwork (and that of another horse who completed) showed
levels of a horse tying up, even though both horses were asymptomatic in
other respects - no locking up of the hind end and with excellent hydration
parameters.

Amy commented how if they hadn't happened to see Ruby pee, they never would
have guessed she had a problem. She speculated that there might be other
such asymptomatic horses that go undetected -- especially if a ride ends
later and darkness falls before the horse gets around to peeing, making the
condition harder to detect.

++

I was one of the front riders in the 50 and didn't mind one bit starting in
the dark - it was an exhilarating experience to ride a fresh horse fast
along a rocky, twisting trail with only the handle of the big dipper to
point the way. My horse negotiated the trail with no mishaps even though I
didn't have a headlamp, and I could see more than I thought - and as much as
of those rocks I wanted too! There were plenty of them later in the day, for
sure. And I'm so glad we had the whole afternoon to take care of him - and
catch a nap before awards!

Mary Howell
M20123